Blairs Boys

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Kindergarten

We finally got the phone call!
The one to say that Ethan has a place in Kindergarten!


His name has been on the waiting list for almost 2 years. Initially they told me he would get in around the age of 3 ½, but that didn’t happen. Then it was 3 years 8 months, then 3 years 10 months, and finally at 3 years 11 months, he got in.
He’s really excited about going to Kindy. His friend Devon from preschool will be turning 4 the day before Ethan, so he should be starting around the same time. We’ve got a meeting there on Friday afternoon, and the teacher said one other parent would be there with their child … so I’m hoping it is Devon!


Logistically, getting Ethan to and from Kindergarten is going to be nightmare for us. The days and hours are so weird. Mon, Tues and Thurs afternoons from 12.45pm until 3.15pm. Then after about 6 months, he will go 5 mornings from 8.45am until 11.45am (12.45pm on Wed & Fri). Mondays shouldn’t be too bad as Rob is home. Tues and Thurs both the boys are at preschool, so Rob will have to pick Ethan up from preschool after lunch and take him to Kindy, then pick him up from Kindy at 3.15pm and take him back to preschool until 5pm when I pick them up. Luckily his boss has said that’s no problem. Also, Devon’s mum has offered to pick Ethan up sometimes and take him back to their house to play with Devon until Rob finishes work (they live just around the corner from Rob’s work). Actually, both Ethan & Devon were pretty excited about that idea!
It will be tricky, but we’ll make it work. It will be really good for Ethan, and a great “transition” period before he starts school next year – yikes!

6 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

Wow, what an ODD schedule! I wonder if we will get a call next month for Kamryn then???? We can manage the things at the beginning of the week but starting at 12:45 will be interesting for us with Lauryn sleeping. Thursdays are going to be bad!

YAY, he got in! Is he ready to go??? How is daycare going to charge you since it won't exactly be a full half day? Hmmmmm, I wonder if we could do this?

11:46 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

Yes, 12.45 is going to be tricky for us with Tyler's naps, too. I think he'll just have to have an early one on Monday.

I think we'll still pay for a whole day of daycare. I can't see any other way around it. Doesn't bother me, I just want him to get the Kindy experience.

As for whether he's ready ... I think so, but we'll find out on Friday when we go for our visit!!

11:54 am  
Blogger Angella said...

You were right when you said the system was different there :)

Here, kids start kindergarten the September of the year they turn 5 (before Dec 31)

Then comes Grade 1, etc. Preschool is an option, but it's not part of the public school system :)

Hope the logistics work out!

4:39 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

yes, I find the whole school thing hard to get my head around here. But I guess that is generally how it is since it's an all year thing here. Back home you got nearly 3 months off in the summer. I'm trying to figure it out but probably won't really catch on until I'm living it lol.

4:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe Ethan is old enough for Kindy!! He's growing up so fast!

7:20 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, Ethans going to be a kindy kid! Luke has been going to Ngaio Kindy since December last year (age 3 and 5 months) and he loves it! It's not too bad fitting the three afternoons in because Daniel has his nap at 1pm once I've dropped Luke off (and I need to wake Daniel up around 2.50 in order to get a park comfortably when I go to pick Luke up). I'm dreading it when he starts morning kindy though (apparently around 4yrs and 2months) because it's five mornings a week, and I'll need to juggle Playcentre commitments around that (including my duty, and Daniel's sessions, and maybe Luke's too)...Enjoy your visit tomorrow!

2:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home