Blairs Boys

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Separated from my boys

I’m going to a music conference this weekend. It starts tonight (Thursday) and finishes late Saturday night. It will be the longest time I have spent away from my kids since they were born.

Ever since he was a baby, Ethan has had numerous “sleepovers” at Nana & Grandad’s, but only for one night each time. Except once, when Rob and I went away for a weekend. That was for 2 nights. When Tyler was born I only spent 2 nights in hospital, and Ethan came to visit twice anyway. Recently, both kids stayed over at my parents’ place for one night. That was Tyler’s first “sleepover”. They’re doing it again next weekend (its our wedding anniversary), but again only for one night.
This time, I won’t see my kids for more than 3 days. The conference starts tonight, but I had to say goodbye last night because I leave for work at 6.30am when the boys are still asleep, and I’ll be leaving for the conference at 4.30pm while they are still at preschool. I’ll get home around midnight on Saturday, but obviously I won’t see them until Sunday morning.

So Wednesday night until Sunday morning – that’s a long time!


Ethan was upset when I said goodbye and told him I was going away for a couple of days. I had to bribe him with promises of the things Daddy would do with them while I was gone (and then tell Rob afterwards so he would make sure to follow through). Tonight they’re having Wendy’s for dinner. You know, bribery with chicken nuggets has worked with Ethan since he was old enough to eat them! I guess they are his currency :)

Of course I am not at all worried about Rob’s ability to look after the kids by himself for 3 days. He’ll be fine. He’s such a hands-on father, I know he is not fazed at all by the prospect. I am worried about my kids missing me. Most people have been saying “oh, they’ll have such a great time, they won’t even miss you” but I don’t think that’s true. My kids love me, and they ask for me when I’m not there. Tyler often calls out for me in the mornings, even though I’ve left for work already. When they wake up in the night, they usually call for mummy.
Whether or not my kids will miss me is beside the point, anyway. I’m going to miss them, I know that for a fact!

4 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

Awwww, Hannah! I forgot about this all starting this week. I'm sorry but the days fly by for me! I think the boys will miss you, that's a fact. I know mine would miss me and Kamryn often tells me she misses me when she is at daycare. But the fact that you will be home when you say shows them that you love them and you mean what you say. So it will be good for them and for you to be away for a while. I too however would find this length of time really hard. I'm sure most mothers would. Are you allowed to call them nightly or anything or is his a quiet sort of thing? Maybe Rob can mark off the days until you come home with Sunday being circled for when they get to see you next? Good on Rob for managing for that time period without you. I swear, I would be on pins and needles with Hugh that long with both. He has already told me he can't manage both at the grocery store! NICE! Hugs to you! *just sign up for the challenge before you go lol*

10:20 am  
Blogger Angella said...

As much as a break from parenting is nice, it's hard to be apart from your babies. I'm gone in May again for three nights, and I hate it...good thing is, you'll be so busy it should fly by :)

1:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Han, it's Mum. You won't read this until you're back but just wanted to say how proud I am of you. I just read the gingerbread blog - toooo cute!! and yes the boys will miss you - good grief you are 28 and been married for years and I MISS YOU!!! Glad you are having an awesome time. Just talked to Rob and he is taking the boys to Chipmunks and will call and see me on the way home. I miss the boys every day!!! Can't wait until next weekend. Love you heaps MUM

1:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Awww...I so know how you feel. My mom and dad pretty much kidnapped Zachary after I had Lucas. They had him for 5 days!!!! I was relieved the first couple of days so I could adjust, then I started to think "I wonder when they are bringing him back?", by the fifth day I was ready to scream "BRING ME BACK MY BABY!!!" (HUGS) I hope it all goes well for all of you!

BTW~chicken nuggets work for currency in our house too!

6:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home