Blairs Boys

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Chocolate

A girl at work has just passed around squares of 70% cocoa bittersweet organic chocolate.
I'm sorry, but why bother?

Eating this is like eating cocoa powder straight from the box/tin. The aftertaste is beyond unpleasant. It is like eating cooking chocolate. Which I have done in the past, but only because I was utterly desperate and there was no "normal" chocolate left in the house.

It always amuses me to read about the purported benefits of dark chocolate.

- you only need to eat a small amount.
EXACTLY! Who wants to only eat a small amount??
- one small piece will satisfy any sugar craving.
Um, wrong! I've eaten one small piece and not only has my sugar craving intensified, my taste buds are protesting because they have been cruelly tricked.
- it has antioxidants.
Well, so does cabbage, but that doesn't make me want to eat it! And if you really need to boost your antioxidant levels, why not drink a glass of red wine?
- it contains minerals such as magnesium, potassium and calcium.
Um, take a supplement.
- it decreases LDL cholesterol. Hmm, I know of some drugs that can do that.

I don't care what they say, I won't eat this stuff. I won't waste precious calories on it when I could be using them to eat something much more satisfying. For me, it is milk chocolate all the way. Cadbury is the best, but I would never say no to Nestle or Whittakers.

In my opinion, if you are going to eat chocolate, you may as well enjoy the experience. Now is that a strange concept, or common sense? I thought so :-)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well I can take or leave chocolate but to be honest that 70% means I really do only take a square cos it's too strong for me. Mike loves chocolate full stop and has been known to eat that stuff by the bar in a few sittings.....

4:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a milk chocolate lover - dark chocolate is a waste of time and calories!

:)

5:06 pm  
Blogger Creative Options said...

Not being that much of a chocolate lover I can take or leave the stuff, but if I was going to indulge it definitely wouldn't be that dark stuff....way too strong for me!

And Big congrats on being published in up 2 scrap Hannah...your layout is fab!... WTG!!!

6:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But have you tried dark chocolate AND red wine - a fabulous combination and great source of anti-oxidants!!

Robyn

6:22 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

I quite like dark chocolate but not that new dark gold (or whatever it is). I think dark chocolate is a bit closer to the semi-sweet stuff we get in the States. That's probably why I like it better. And I sooooooooo love dark chocolate Bounty bars ;)

7:19 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with you...if you're gonna eat it go for the gold! Organic chocolate? yuck! Ranks up there with carob if you ask me!

7:21 pm  
Blogger Ilka said...

I am with you Hannah all the way!!! Chocolate is supposed to be sweet not bitter - fullstop - not negotiable ;p
That 70% bitter chocolate...must be for gourmets;p I am more a gourmand when it comes to sweets;p
LOL!

11:04 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

That 70% cocoa chocolate is too bitter for me. When I've eaten the stuff I've reacted like I've eaten something very sour. The closest I can go is Cadbury's Energy chocolate (mainly used for baking, however), but I'm a milk chocolate fan, and even like white chocolate in small doses.

7:53 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

Milk chocolate only please!
I'm sure you have even better chocolate than we do - but I'll still take our crappy milk chocolate over that bitter dark cruddy stuff.
At least we have Cadbury as well ;)

9:51 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

Dark chocolate in all forms seriously sucks. I miss the true Cadbury from England because that was truely the best!

I too have eaten cooking chocolate btw...mixed with melted peanut butter. I wouldn't recommend it.

4:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home