Blairs Boys

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Growing up

Sometimes I get quite emotional about how fast my boys are growing up.

It suddenly hit me last night that Ethan will be starting school in just over 6 months' time! I'm excited for him, but at the same time I feel sad. He is such a great kid now, I just want him to stay that way! I'm not sure that I'm ready for him to be out in the "real world" so to speak. Okay, he is already at Kindy and is being influenced by his friends & teachers there, but school is just so much bigger. Of course I am looking forward to him learning lots of new things, and improving on the skills he already has. Along with that, his social skills, confidence and independence will improve. Those are great things, but as well as the positive things about starting school, there will be some negatives. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for it all!

Tyler is now 2,, and no longer a "toddler" in my eyes. He has been getting really good at talking, and now speaks in 20-30+ word sentences all the time!! I'm constantly amazed by the things he says and understands. He's still my baby of course, but he's growing up faster than I ever expected him to. I think having an older brother is a real incentive for him to talk louder, run faster and jump higher! He comes up with the funniest sayings.

Last night I started thinking about how one day my boys may not want to spend heaps of time with me, and give me cuddles & kisses. If I had my way, that day would never come. But I know it probably will.
The best thing I can do right now is to make the most of today. Enjoy the things that Ethan does & says that make him, well, four. Relish the fun times with Tyler, even when he is being a typical toddler. Take lots of photos, write about the things I want to remember, create memories that will last forever. I'm glad that I do those things, and that I have really great memories of the last 4 1/2 years. In many ways it is exciting to think about the future, and wonder what my boys will be like in another 5-10 years. I'm sure we'll continue to have as much fun as we do now (if not more).

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I have those same thoughts about my kids :)

11:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice warm fuzzy post Hannah! This post would make a great layout with the journalling you have done already by writing this post.

4:23 pm  
Blogger Creative Options said...

It's hard when your babies suddenly aren't babies anymore, I remember having the same thoughts... well actually many times over the years!

But now that my wee man is nearly 16 those thoughts are more real, but I still get cuddles and he still wants to know me so it's not that bad...lol

5:41 pm  
Blogger Tracy said...

I hear you Hannah, there are lots of changes ahead for you all with the start of school life. Cherish those kisses and cuddles for now! I just can't imagine my children 5-10 years older than they are now but it is quite exciting at the same time.

8:58 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's hard when we have to let them go, even to school.

And then you lose some of your hero status from your children because their teacher is part of their life.

You get answers like this."No Mum my teacher said"!!!!!

But they make you so proud as they learn and become little people.

11:10 pm  
Blogger Ilka said...

I'm like Ann. My baby is 16, smart, socializing, independent going to MIT now not even in school anymore...and growing into a beautiful young man...
Many a times I want my baby back. Remember still those chubby soft arms around my neck whereas now the hugs - still as much or even more appreciated by me- are from this boy/man who is taller than me and all skin and bones;p But then also I am so very proud of what he is becoming.
Motherhood and letting go - a huge lesson isn't it?

10:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home