Blairs Boys

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The big "V" ...

Okay, so this is probably pushing the limits of what people find interesting to read about on my blog, but it's a big step for our family and therefore important for me to write about.

Rob is getting a vasectomy tomorrow.
And on Friday the 13th, no less! Of course we are not superstitious, but it was pretty funny when we realised what the date was going to be. Coupled with the fact that the doctor who will be performing it has just returned to work after having hand surgery (!), it gave us a bit of a chuckle :-)


We knew as soon as Tyler was born that our family was complete. All through my 2nd pregnancy we had been wondering whether we should have 2 or 3 kids. We just didn't know. But the moment he was born, I remember this strong feeling come over me, and I just knew that he would be our last child. There was not a doubt in my mind. When I told Rob about it, he said he felt the same way. So there was our answer!

But it took a little while to actually decide how we were going to make sure we stopped at two. I cut out an article on vasectomy from little Treasures magazine and left it on Rob's bedside table. He read it, and said he was happy to do it. Simple! I didn't have to beg, bribe or persuade him that it was "his turn". He made the choice on his own.

At my 6-week postnatal check, when my doctor asked me about contraception, I told her that Rob wanted to get a vasectomy. She didn't try to talk me out of it, but suggested that we wait a bit longer, because Tyler was only a baby and both Rob and I were still young. She said a lot of people waited until their youngest child was a year old. I remember thinking "Why? Would they `replace' that child if he/she died during the first year of life, but not if they died during the second year?" It didn't make much sense to me.

Anyway, the whole idea got put on the back burner for a while. The next time I mentioned it to my doctor she said "great idea" and handed me a brochure! Eventually, Rob got around to making the appointment, and now it's really happening. I'm pleased, because it is what we both want. But at the same time I feel a little sad. I'm completely happy & content with my 2 beautiful boys, and I have very good reasons for not wanting to have another baby. But part of me is still sad that the possibility is no longer there.

Anyway, wish us luck! I say "us" because I am going to be there to support him. It is the least I can do! He was there for me during my hideously long (22h!!) drug-free labour, as well as the much shorter drug-free one. He was there by my side through it all, I don't even remember him taking a coffee break. So I figure sitting next to him for 45 min and stocking up the freezer with frozen peas is not too much to ask ;-)

6 Comments:

Blogger tanyaleigh said...

Good luck guys for tomorrow. I'm sure everything will be fine.

2:45 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

Good luck, let us know how it goes as Brendon's next up on the chopping block! LOL

3:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck and Hannah I think it's brilliant that you will be there to support Rob.

4:33 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

Good Luck tomorrow you two. My Rob got the big V in August 2005, but unlike your Rob it took lots of convincing. I had some reservations about it too. Growing up I always wanted 4 children ( I had no clue what I was in for LOL) and to think that possibility was gone, was so overwhelming for me. It was the best decision now that I think back about it. Again, Good luck tomorrow.

4:50 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

:hugs: Chuck is going to be getting the V as well...and same was true for us, no begging was involved. I hope it all goes well (I think today? Remember I'm in America :))

I did have a woman once (here at work) tell me not to do anything drastic. Her reasoning, verbatim "What if something happened to one of the boys...you couldn't replace them." I almost vomited on her.

12:20 pm  
Blogger Creative Options said...

I hope it all went well?
And good on Rob for not objecting to having it done...WTG!

4:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home