Blairs Boys

Monday, October 02, 2006

Health issues

Me/. Sorry, I'm not going to launch into detail on this one, except to say that I've been having some health issues lately (some of you already know about them). After going to the doctor on Friday, it was decided that I need to have a scan and some tests done this week. Of course I don't want there to be something wrong with me, but I do want an explanation for the symptoms I've been experiencing. So in some ways I hope that the tests DO show something, just so that I can have a proper answer and hopefully get it treated and fixed.

Anyway, I'd appreciate prayers for this. I probably won't know anything until next week, as I'm getting the tests done on Thursday.

Tyler/. There is another "potential" health issue in our family. It may not even be an issue, but I've been thinking about it a lot and we're going to get it checked out. It has to do with Tyler's persistent cough. He had a cold which started in early August, and it hasn't really cleared up. For the past couple of weeks, he's just had this nagging dry cough. He no longer has a runny nose or any other symptoms, so I don't think we can still call it a cold. The doctor prescribed some medication for it (not a cough medicine, but an anti-asthma medicine), which was supposed to dry it up. But it hasn't really worked. He's been coughing most of the night, and a good part of the day as well.

All this got me thinking about asthma.
I know that in infants, asthma is commonly triggered by a cold or respiratory infection (as well as temperature changes), that there are often no signs of wheezing or shortness of breath (just a persistent cough), and that 2 years of age is one of the most common times for developing asthma.

Last night I was talking to Rob about it, and reading some of my medical books to find out more. At first he seemed dismissive about it, but after I read him some of the information from my book, I asked him again what he thought. I said, "don't you think it could be something like that?" and he just looked at me with a really sad face and said, "I don't want him to have asthma". I know exactly what he means. Of course I don't want him to have asthma either. But just because you don't like the possibility doesn't mean that you should ignore it. I told Rob that, and he agreed.

So ... we've decided that if Tyler continues to cough this week, we'll go back to our GP next Monday and ask her about it. Hopefully it isn't asthma, but I want to get it sorted out. A cough that lasts for 7 weeks is not normal and it can't be much fun for Tyler. I just want him to be better again.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man!! I'm praying for ALL of you!!

HUGS!!

9:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are all feeling better soon Hannah! Childhood asthma is very common here in Canada, and many kids do outgrow it. I also have asthma, and only notice it when I'm running or it's very cold outside. My girls have a nagging cough & "sniffle-itis" but insist they can still go to school (maybe that's why I refer to them as the germ magnets :)

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

11:14 am  
Blogger Christi said...

*hugs* Hannah! You definitely need to keep me posted. Like I said the other night, it seems as we are aging we are getting more issues and we are only 28 lol!!!

I surely hope they give you good answers for Tyler as well. I would be most annoyed with the cough for so long as well.

12:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs Hannah and I hope you can get some answers for your health issues. My thoughts are with you. As for the asthma most kids grow out of that. But it does pay to get it checked. Mike suffered from it for quite some time and a few years ago he did a Butako(sp) course and has never had problems with astham since!.

5:24 pm  
Blogger Roo said...

Sending lots of healthy caring vibes to youand Tyler


Roo

8:18 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sorry to hear things aren't well with you and Tyler, Hannah. I hope they find the solution to both your problems. My step-daughter has asthma and it's severe so I know how nasty it can be.

Hang in there!

Michelle

8:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah
I really hope that you and Tyler resolve your health issues - I'm thinking of you both. There is nothing worse than not knowing what is wrong, and I pray for some good results for you soon

11:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home