Blairs Boys

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Jeckel & Hyde

Oh. My. Goodness.
How can my child be such an angel sometimes and then completely switch to being a little monster?
I'm talking about The Two Year Old.

So apparently this is "normal" behaviour for a child of his age. But that doesn't make it easy to deal with! Not to mention the fact that we didn't even go through stuff like this with Ethan. I feel lost!

The main issues are temper tantrums and screaming/squealing. Tyler can throw a mighty fine tantrum when he feels like it. He's been perfecting his skills in this area since the tender age of, oh, 15 months. The screaming has been going on since he could open his mouth. But put them both together and combine them with being Two & Terrible, and you've got a recipe for FAR OUT!

On Monday he had a tantrum that lasted for more than an hour. Yep, an hour. And you won't believe what started it. We were on our way out the door to visit my parents, and he didn't want to take his slippers off and put his shoes on. Normally I would have just let him wear his slippers, but it was persisting down with rain and shoes were definitely necessary. But oh no, he wasn't going to have a bar of it. So he just lay on the floor by the front door and screamed. And screamed. And screamed.
Ethan & I went to Mum & Dad's without him. Rob kindly agreed to stay home and listen to the screaming. I talked to him on the phone later to see how long he had kept it up. A loooong time. He finally wore himself out and stopped long enough to eat some lunch, and then it was off to bed. Where he screamed and cried for another 20 min. MAN!

I know we did the right thing (this time). We took away something he wanted (to go to Mum & Dad's) and we ignored him until he stopped. But the simple fact is we can't always do that. We can't ignore him at the supermarket or at church. So often I find it easier to give in and let him have whatever it is he is screaming about. I know that is probably fuelling the fire a little bit. But seriously, why should I always take the hard road and then have to deal with the tantrums and the screaming, when I can take the easy road and keep him smiling? Most often the things he is mad about are not worth fighting about. He doesn't want to take his shoes off. He doesn't want to put his shoes on. He wants his toys to sit on the table while he eats. He wants to close the microwave door when I've heated his milk up at bedtime. He wants to carry his own bag. He wants me to carry his bag.
Get the picture? These are not things that are going to harm him. He is not throwing tantrums because he wants to eat lollies for dinner, or he wants to paint on the walls. He just wants some control over the little things in his life.

So tell me, please. Am I doing the wrong thing here? I have always tried to pick my battles when it comes to disciplining the kids. I don't want to be one of those mothers who is constantly saying "No, don't do that", "Stop doing that" and "Leave that alone". Although some days it feels like I say those things all the time!! But generally I try to ignore the little things that don't really matter so that the bigger things can be dealt with more effectively. Life would be a mess if I were to pull Tyler up on all the things he gets frustrated about. Yes, I would prefer it if he were compliant and obedient and let me call all the shots. I would like it if he could just do what he is told without handing me a contract with his terms & agreements on it first.

But he is only 2. And he is trying to figure out his place in the world. I understand that. I really do.
Some days that understanding gets me through the worst. Other days I feel like a terrible mother. Why can't I control my child? Why don't other children have tantrums about silly little things? Why is my kid the only one screaming at the supermarket checkout? Are people staring at me because they feel sorry for me, or because they are chastising me? I know, I know. I shouldn't worry about what other people think. Um, that's just too hard for me. Sorry. I always worry about what other people think. I can't help it.

I've just re-read my post and it sounds like Tyler is a demon child on steroids. He's not. He is sweet and lovely and funny and cute!! He is a source of absolute joy in my life. He makes me smile. I am in awe of him. And I love him, with all my heart. I love him when he is being sweet and I love him when he is being awful. I know that is why I am a good mother. In spite of all my failures and stuff-ups, I know where my heart is. I know I am doing my best, and that is all I can do.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ilka said...

Hannah, of course you are a great loving caring mom! There is no doubt about that. Guess you have a little determined willfull boy that tests out the boundries well and truely. All qualities that in later life he can call on as strengths I am sure. Being 2years old they have this mountain of energy, far more than us grown ups - not fair that ;p
I believe it is very important and reassuring for kids to have boundries and to know what to expect and what to rely on. Maybe especially those kids that 'rebel' a lot. Boundries and consistency give us a feeling of safety, of knowing our place and that of others. We are learning and gaining knowledge about expectations, about whats acceptable and whats not and about consequences of our actions.
All this gives us a framework, a ground to walk upon as we discover the world and our place in it.
I remember I always tried to make sure my son understood the basic nature and direction of my criticism/ disapproval - that it was directed against a certain behaviour or action but not him as a person.I dont critize you but your action/behaviour. I love you, but I dont like what you are doing now.
As for picking your battles... Yes I agree there is value in that.But maybe not the value of it's easier to give in but more in the logic behind it. Like wanting to close the microwave door, that is actually wanting to have some responsibility and participation so it's a great thing.
Screaming at the check out counter is to me all about seeing if 'I can get my way' and as it stresses you obviously not something you want to happen over and over.
I've been known to bundle up my screaming son, leaving my trolley behind with the words, please put it aside I'll be back later to get my stuff thanks.. and yep, one does feel truely bleh and feels as if everyone stares at you...
Having said all this, of course looking back it all is easier than being in the thick of it. And Hannah, I think you are doing a terrific job and am sure you know what you are doing!!!
So thanks for giving my the opportunity to reflect and finding out my current views. Isn't hindsight wonderful;p

11:07 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

Wow, Ilka. Thank you SO MUCH for your wonderful advice and insight! I appreciate it so much, especially coming from somebody who has already been through the toddler & preschool years and is now on the "other side" ... your thoughts and opinions are so valued. You made me feel much better, and I thank you. xox

11:19 am  
Blogger Christi said...

We talked about this a bit yesterday. I think you so handle things better than me! Tyler is just like Lauryn. She has been screaming since she could open her mouth as well. I too find I'm saying 'yes, Lauryn', 'ok, Lauryn', 'anything you want, Lauryn'. And I'm like you as well that through our journey of the day, I get tired of the headaches, I get tired of the battles, I get fed up! I find myself yelling, putting in time outs, sending to her room. And I get wore out from this. Kamryn was not this bad and I honestly believe it is easier to manage one child's behavior then trying to deal with two behaviors at once. It's really just hit us the past couple of weeks and it's driving me batty. I know it's her trying to be independent and figure out who she is. I know this. But just because we know it logically doesn't mean we can better deal with it. The same for the age. Yes, we know they are 2 and it's par for the coarse for their age but that doesn't mean we are ok with it or can handle it. Believe, I am seriously about ready to adopt Lauryn out and the pull away from me is gut wrenching and it's making this transition all the much harder on me. I'm stuck. I'm the mother that can't do anything for the one child that wanted to be with me. So I'm hoping the end is near or I may have to be committed lol!!! And I'm here for you too, so know that we are both going through the same things. And as second children, I guess they are just wanting to be heard *hugs*

12:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah, I didn't think Tyler was a demon child but a 2 year old boy trying to figure life out. I can't offer advice from experience but your doing a great job. Tyler is two and is as you said still trying to figure out is place in life. Ilks said some great things there that are worth remembering as have Christi and your mum. Your doing a great job.

4:35 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hannah,

You answered your own questions at the end of the blog. You're alright and you will continue to be because you are a "good mother and your heart is in the right place" We all stuff, we are only human. We can just try to set a good example and carry on.

Hugs!

7:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing a fantastic job! He's perfectly normal...and so are you :)

6:38 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

Hannah, I can't really give any other advice than what's already been given. My little man is the same way, there are days I probably shouldn't give in, but it's so much easier than listening to the screaming. I feel your pain!! Just remember you are a great mom, and you have one of the biggest hearts!

PS I was able to finally upload some photos on my blog, they didn't quite listen on photobucket, but nonetheless there are pictures lol

7:40 am  
Blogger Tracy said...

Hi Hannah
Boy I picked a good day to comment. Our kids are 7 and 10 now so we are past the tantrum stage and onto other 'difficulties' but the one thing I always do even now when 'we' have had a rough day, I pop into their rooms at night and give them a little kiss and cuddle while they are sleeping. All kids are adorable while sleeping and you can't help but fall in love again! (not that you don't love them but you know what I mean, sometimes they are harder to love than other times, lol)
Other than that I totally agree with Ilka, boundaries are very reassuring to children of this age and the qualities he showing right now will be his strengths as an adult!
Hope today is a better day!

9:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah, i dont even need to say you're a great and attentive and caring mother, because you know that. And i feel more than a little unqualified to answer - Georgia is only 5mths old, but we are both believers in the power of prayer - Im sure its something you've already tried, but i just want to encourage you the God does care about our little (or big) frustrations in life and he surely can help, whether its giving you insight to why Tyler is behaving the way he is or giving you wisdom to know the best way to deal with it. He'll provide you with patience, and then at the end of the day His comfort is there to hug you and say "well done".
I love you and will also be praying for you're beautiful family.
xx Liv

12:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home