Blairs Boys

Saturday, August 12, 2006

A taste of Canadian life

Today is my third day here in Toronto. I've had such a great time so far, hanging out with Jenn and her family. Here are just some of the things I have done:

~Rode the subway into the city
~Had a "real" Toronto hotdog
~Went to a baseball game (and the Blue Jays won!)
~Shopped at Wal-Mart
~Tried Quizno's (like Subway but yummier!) and Dairy Queen
~Swam in Lake Ontario

Tomorrow I am going on a tour to Niagara Falls, including a boat ride "Maid of the Mist" and a tour through Niagara-on-the-Lake. I organised it through the AIDS conference website, so all the other people on the tour will be conference delegates.
Jenn is taking me to my hotel tonight. I'm ever so grateful to her & Chris for their hospitality and generosity. It was also lovely to meet Marilyn & Peter, Jenn's parents. Duncan, Matthew & Joey are the cutest little boys. I have felt so welcome and at home here.

I have to admit being around Jenn's boys has made me really miss Ethan & Tyler. A lot. So much that I'm not sure I could travel like this again. Leaving them was harder than I thought it would be. I feel so far away from home, and 12 days is a long time. I miss them so much my heart physcially hurts. But I know they are doing great, and I talked to Ethan last night on the phone. But I have to say, I don't agree with a work colleague who told me leaving her 2 girls (ages 5 and 3) wasn't difficult. She has travelled twice in the past 6 months, and both times she said it was no big deal being away from her girls. I'm sorry, but I can't understand that. I miss my kids so much and I don't know how anybody could find it easy to be away from their own children for more than a few days.

Anyway, I better stop or I'll make myself cry. I'm feeling a little anxious right now, considering the recent terror threats and increased security at airports. But like Rob said, I will be even safer flying home now than I would have been before. That is quite comforting, but I do hope things go smoothly for the trip home. I'd appreciate your prayers for that, and that the conference days would go by quickly so I can get home to see my precious boys (all 3 of them).

I'll post again tomorrow after my tour. I'm sure it is going to be amazing, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and something I'll always remember.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Han, sounds like you're having agood time, was the lake warm, was there a playground like I imagined? Ethan tried talking to you while he listened to a story then came out saying I miss Mummy, it was quite cute. Love you, hope you have a cool time on the tour and meet some nice people. Rob xx

10:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Han,
You've been doing heaps - sounds so fun! I know wot you mean wen you say it feels so far away away! ( I guess it is really ) Time will fly by and you'll be home before you know it so enjoy it as much as you can! Just think of the wonderful reunion at the airport!
Liv

12:48 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

Wal-Mart and Dairy Queen!!! OMG, were you in heaven!! I so miss both!

I'm with you, I don't understand how someone can't miss their kids. And your work colleagues girls are quite young. Some people........

7:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...Dairy Queen!

I would be as full of heartache as you - but you'll make it!

7:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you're doing great. I know you miss your boys but it won't be long before you're home :-)

11:16 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

Hey, I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I know you're still a bit jet-lagged, and missing your babes, hence the quieter side of Hannah. I love you Heaps though! You are just as sweet in person as I imagined you would be, and I feel so honoured to be your Canadian friend, and have you stay with us here before the conference.
I love listening to your accent - and am finding myself slipping into the occasional Kiwi - just for fun (Hmmmm, how would Hannah say this?) I'm sure I'd sound like a right nit-wit to you, but it's fun for me.

1:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home