Blairs Boys

Friday, August 04, 2006

Name writing

Ethan has been practicing writing his name a LOT since he started Kindy.
Every afternoon when they arrive at Kindy, they find their name on the whiteboard, and then copy it onto a sheet of paper. Before Ethan started Kindy in mid-May, he was able to write an "E" and "t" pretty well, but the other letters weren't as easy. Plus, he wasn't overly interested in doing it. But after just a few weeks at Kindy, he was writing his name almost perfectly. Now he can do both his first and last names without asking for help or copying them. And he enjoys doing it!
Have a squizz at this:




Michelle's recent blog about her 3 1/2-year-old daughter's drawings prompted me to take some photos of Ethan's latest artwork. I need to have it documented and eventually scrapbooked :-) At the moment he really likes drawing people, faces, animals and shapes (squares, circles, triangles, etc). Here's one of his typical "people":



You know, there was a time about 6 months ago when I thought Ethan would never be interested in drawing, writing or even colouring in. But now he loves all 3, and is getting better and better at them everyday.

Proud mumma? You bet!

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Wow I gave someone and idea to blog about? LOL Looks like Ethan is doing great. How long did it take for him from the start of preschool to be able to write his name? I'm looking forward to that with Madelynn now. :-)

Ethan's drawing looks more happy than Madelynn's. Intersting how they both seem to have the same view eh? Hair is just a scribble and the eyes both the same big circles.

I always wish I could remember what it was like to be that age so I could see where Madelynn is coming from better.

Too cute!

7:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's SO GOOD at his name! And the drawing is pretty cute, too :)

2:33 am  
Blogger Christi said...

He is really good at doing is name! I'm afraid Kamryn has too many 'hard' letters in her name. She has the slanted letters like 'k', 'y' and 'N'. Poor thing. And then you have the 'e' and 's' lol. Anyway, I had her do a drawing today that I am going to add to my blog in a couple of days when I get around to it. I'm afriad her people don't have so much detail. They just get one circle for eyes and forget mouths, noses or hair lol. But I do have an awesome photo of a caterpiller and all that it ate lol. Ethan and Madelynn must really be on a level higher than Kamryn and it's wonderful to see what they are accomplishing! You should be proud, Hannah!

12:21 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

Christi - you are sooo right, Kamryn has some very tricky letters in her name! And it is quite long. But she'll get there soon. I'm sure the name writing at Kindy will help - that is what did it for Ethan. It took a few weeks for him to be interested though.
I can't wait to see the caterpillar drawing - sounds fantastic!

8:02 am  
Blogger Ranni said...

Yes, document away! We lost our home in a fire years ago and so many memories along with it. I had 2 big boxes of drawings and school papers in the closet from my two oldest boys. Now I not only save the pages, I scan them and put them on disk in hopes that they'll be easier to save should we suffer another disaster. Proud mumma? You should be! :)

4:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home