Blairs Boys

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I think I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

And it is SO ironic, because just a couple of weeks ago my Dad was telling me that he has had numbness and pain in his left hand for a while, and Mum and I were telling him to go to the doctor because he "almost definitely" had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!! Of course he hasn't been to the doctor, so we still don't know! Typical male :-)

Anyway, I first noticed the numbness in my left hand while on the plane from Toronto to LA. I figured it was because I had been sitting for so long, and had my arms squashed up to avoid touching the people on either side of me (as you do, on a plane). But it hasn't really gone away, and I've noticed it getting worse while I'm working.

I decided to ask my dear friend Google about it, and I found the following description of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:

Symptoms usually start gradually, with frequent burning, tingling, or itching numbness in the palm of the hand and the fingers, especially the thumb and the index and middle fingers. Some carpal tunnel sufferers say their fingers feel useless and swollen, even though little or no swelling is apparent. The symptoms often first appear in one or both hands during the night, since many people sleep with flexed wrists. A person with carpal tunnel syndrome may wake up feeling the need to "shake out" the hand or wrist. As symptoms worsen, people might feel tingling during the day. Decreased grip strength may make it difficult to form a fist, grasp small objects, or perform other manual tasks. In chronic and/or untreated cases, the muscles at the base of the thumb may waste away. Some people are unable to tell between hot and cold by touch.

Although I haven't had much pain, I've certainly had burning, tingling, numbness (lots of it) and the feeling of needing to "shake out" my hand. Kind of freaky! I will have to take my own advice and get myself to a doctor. My parents are away at the moment so I can't even talk to Dad about it and see if we are having the same symptoms. How bizarre would it be if we both had the same thing and both needed surgery?!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it doesn't hurt too much, and that it will get better :)

2:43 am  
Blogger Christi said...

I think I have it slightly. Nothing major. But my hands often feel swollen when I wake up and sometimes it feels like they are 'asleep' for quite a while after I wake up. But that's about all I've experienced. Let's hope you don't need surgery right away. Let me know what the doctor says though. *hugs*

9:54 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

Man, my mom just had the surgury maybe last year and now she thinks I have it too :( What the heck is going on in this world?

I hope it's something else and you don't have to go through all the surgury and stuff.

10:04 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

I hope it's just a little sore from all that work and overtime you've put in!!!
Really, that would be strange to need the same surgery as your dad. Hope it starts feeling better soon!

2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home