Blairs Boys

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Time for Time Out!

We’ve started using Time Out for Tyler. Well, my mum started using it with good results, so we decided to use it at home as well. His behaviour hasn’t been too bad, but there are moments where he is naughty and KNOWS he is being naughty, and the previous toddler techniques of redirection & distraction were no longer working. I wasn’t sure he was old enough for Time Out, and I didn’t know if he would understand the concept of it. But he sure does!

Mum decided to just use a corner of the room, so we’re doing the same thing. Ethan has Time Out in his bedroom, which is downstairs and close to the living room and playroom. But since Tyler’s room is upstairs, we needed a “safe” place downstairs for him. I wasn’t prepared to put him in the toilet or bathroom (I think he could actually do some damage in there) and the playroom is out of the question too, for obvious reasons! So the corner it is.
Yesterday mum put Tyler in Time Out because he was throwing toys, and he didn’t stop after a couple of warnings. So she followed the Super Nanny technique. Apparently she had to put him back in the corner about 8 times because he kept following her, but eventually he stayed there for a minute. He said “sorry” afterwards and gave her a cuddle. And he didn’t throw any more toys!
She told me about it when I rang her at lunch time, and I immediately decided that we would start using Time Out at home too. Well, we got the perfect opportunity after dinner. Tyler kept putting his feet up on the table, and Rob had told him to stop. So he went to the corner of the kitchen for 2 minutes and he was NOT happy! Not fair – he didn’t cry and protest when mum tried it! But he only had to be put back about 3 or 4 times, and once again he said sorry and gave Rob a cuddle.


I’m just glad he seems to understand how it all works. But I have the feeling he’ll be getting more Time Outs than his brother ever did. Tyler loves to push the boundaries and doesn’t particularly like to follow the rules. But I think this will help him learn, and it sure beats any other form of discipline we have tried over the years!

5 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

Wow, good for you, Hannah! I must say Lauryn has been let off easy without us using time outs. I'm pretty sure I started them with Kamryn just over 18 months. And I can see the results now in Kamryn so I really need to get on Lauryn with it. Lauryn gets them now and man she screams and carries on!!! She doesn't listen to Hugh too terribly well but she knows I mean business lol. We don't have a specific place they sit, we just pop them down wherever we can see them without anything near them. Last night she got a time out for not going to Hugh to get dressed after being told a couple of times. Once I made her sit, I turned my back to walk into the kitchen and she lunged for Hugh! LOL, must have known she better act quickly and get it done lol. But I have to say just from the few times we have used it, she learns quickly. She's had a few for throwing food on the floor at dinner and now she will put it on her mat or plate instead of throwing it. It's been good. And I do think it helps for when they get to be Ethan and Kamryn's age. Ok, sorry, maybe this should have all gone in an e-mail ;)

12:57 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

We have the naughty spot too. It works, Madelynn hates to go there. She knows after 1 warning if she doesn't stop she's going. But she still tries it anyway. I often wonder if it wasn't for super nanny what the heck we would have done. We had no clue what to do with her.

9:55 am  
Blogger Angella said...

Good for you guys! I think we need to start with Nathan soon...and he's a little more, ahem, DIFFICULT than his big brother :)

6:26 am  
Blogger D said...

Time Out works awesome for my oldest - but not my youngest. They are so different in every way.
It sounds like he will get used to it quickly.

I finally added you to my links. Hope you don't mind.

11:59 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

Time out works wonders for Lucas too. I started using it with him at 13 months old with great results. Time outs still don't work with Zachary and he's 4. Go figure.

Glad that you found something that works for Tyler!!

3:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home