Blairs Boys

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Kindy update

Ethan has been at Kindy for about 4 or 5 weeks now. For the first 2 or 3 weeks, he was fine. But then he started getting sad when Rob dropped him off, saying “I don’t want you to go, Daddy” and then saying he didn’t want to go to Kindy anymore. The first day it happened was a day that Devon happened to be sick, and Ethan was upset about Devon not being there. When I picked him up he told me that Devon wasn’t there and I asked him if he played with any of the other children. He said “no, I just lay on the bridge in the playground and cried because nobody was my friend.” Talk about heart-breaking!! I told him that he could make new friends by asking other children if he could play with them, but I know he hasn’t been doing that. He thinks he can only have one friend. At first I was really puzzled about that, because at preschool he is really popular and has lots of friends.
But then I started thinking about the differences between preschool and Kindy [he’s at preschool on Tues and Thurs mornings, and then he goes to Kindy on Mon, Tues & Thurs afternoons].


I think there are a few things that Ethan is finding difficult:
1. There are 45 kids at Kindy, all in one room. There are ~20 kids at preschool, separated into 2 buildings (under 3s and over 3’s).
2. The kids at Kindy are all 4. Kids at preschool range from 3 months to almost 5.
3. The lack of structure at Kindy. Preschool is much more structured and he knows the routine well.
4. The Kindy teachers are unfamiliar to Ethan. He has known his preschool teachers for much longer and has a close relationship with them.
5. Kindy is a new & different place. Preschool has been part of his life since he can remember, since he started there when he was 1.
6. Most of the children at Kindy are unfamiliar to Ethan. Almost all of his close preschool friends (about 6 of them) started at the same time as he did, in 2003. They have practically grown up together.

Having said that, he just loves the playground and all the toys and activities they have at Kindy. He is getting to know the teachers now, and feels more comfortable with them. Yesterday I had a big talk to one of the teachers (Lisa), and she said Ethan is doing really well. She said it is normal for most kids to take a few weeks/months to settle in … there is usually a “honeymoon period” where they are just so excited about coming, they don’t have time to get sad. But then the novelty of something new wears off, and they start to feel a bit overwhelmed. Lisa said she has been reading a book to Ethan or doing a puzzle with him when Rob drops him off, and he stops feeling sad after a couple of minutes. She has told him that he can always come and have a cuddle with her if he is feeling sad or lonely. I thought that was very sweet. She also talked about what a neat kid he is, and how he has a great sense of humour. I asked Lisa if Ethan plays with other kids when Devon is not there (which has been quite often, for various reasons) and she said he doesn’t yet, but she’s confident that he will start making new friends once he feels totally settled.

So I guess the main thing is that he is happy while he is there (after the first couple of minutes) and he is learning lots of things. I’m sure he’ll make more friends as time goes on, and in the meantime I am really grateful that he has a good friend like Devon.

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Talk about ripping your heart out of your chest!! :-( Poor little lad. I'm confused though and it's probably just because I'm American. Kindy and Preschool are not the same? Yuo said he was 1 when he started going is it more like a daycare center?

Michelle

10:25 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:25 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

sorry, that was me that deleted a comment. I somehow managed to post twice. :-)

10:28 am  
Blogger Hannah said...

Michelle - yes, preschool is what we call his daycare centre. The place our boys attend is called an "Early Childhood Education Centre" which IMO is slightly different from some daycare centres.

I guess it is a bit confusing when the 2 terms are often used interchangeably. We've always used the word "preschool" instead of "daycare" and so that's what the kids call it :-)

10:30 am  
Blogger Angella said...

It must be so hard! Graham is so overly-friendly and wants to play with any one & everyone. I'm afraid that he will encounter kids who say, "I don't want to play with you"

Too bad they couldn't stay 3 for 15 years, and then be 18 and graduate :)

1:10 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

Poor little guy! I worry about this with Kamryn. I wish kindy was more structured. I understand they are getting older and need to do things for themselves but come on, they are only 4 afterall, we aren't talking about an 8 year old here. I know Kamryn personally learns more from structure. I hate to even think that kindy is just a good ole time. The daycare Kamryn goes to as well is a structured center and I'm happy about that. Plus it's definitely a family oriented place which makes it that much nicer. Wow, I don't know if I'm ready for this. Does you gut say he's doing well, Hannah? I know when Kamryn was 2 1/2 I had to pull her from the daycare she is at now cause she was hysterical when I took her. My gut said it wasn't right. And now she will quite happily go and doesn't always need to take her comfort item either. And that makes me feel better. I'm afraid if I feel the same way with kindy then I will do the same. Again, they are only 4.

3:09 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

OMy! That is heart wrenching. I would be crying. Poor little Ethan. I worry about the same thing with Alexis. She does it know when the "mean" girls tell her they aren't her friends. I hope Ethan adjusts quickly so he can start making new friends. I agree with the previous commenter, they are only 4. At least the teacher recgonizes Ethan's distress, and is offering a solution or two. GL and give Ethan lots of cuddles from us.

4:08 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

awwww (((hugs))) To Ethan.
Is Kindy like Kindergarten then? Duncan took a few months to do anything more than stand at the back of the classroom and observe.
His kindergarten is very structured though, so he's come along quite well. Class size is 21 - can't imagine 45 - Wow!No wonder Ethan is a bit distraught - quite a few changes for him! I'm sure he'll adjust soon. they do have a tendency to tug your heartstrings during this phase though.... (((hugs))) to you too mama!

9:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home