Blairs Boys

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Storytelling ... but not the bad kind

Ethan has an amazing imagination. I guess it makes up for his lack of fine motor skills (he can’t hold a pen and shows little interest in drawing). He plays so imaginatively with his toys, I know I’ve posted about that before.

But lately he has been making up the most impressive stories. The other morning he and I were lying in his bed and he asked me to read him a book. I was so tired I couldn’t even keep my eyes open, so I told him I would make up a story, which I did (with my eyes closed the entire time, LOL). He loved it and then said it was HIS turn to make up a story for me, and I had to keep my eyes closed while he was telling it (which was just fine by me!!) … anyway, his story was so neat I wanted to share it with all of you:

“The King’s daughter had a pool. She was having a fwim [swim] and her dog pounced up the stairs and woke up the King. Then the King and his daughter and the dog went to the farm yard and they got a rabbit and a cat to take home for pets. When they got home the dog jumped on the rabbit and the cat and he loved them. The End.”

I have to explain that the story I made up for Ethan had nothing to do with Kings or swimming pools or farmyards! My story did have a dog, cat and rabbit in it, but the context was very different. Even if he did borrow some of my characters, the bulk of his story was completely new.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's so wonderful!!!!

Billy has no ability to draw, but loves to color & make scribbles. He'll make a scribble and then say to me "What's that Mama?! What did Biwwy draw?" lol
I'm like "uuuh....you tell me!" lol

He's so beautiful...er-handsome!!! :o)

Blessings hun,
Jes

5:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is just so clever! Remember when he used to act out the stories I would tell him - he was so little then - how old?? I forgot to tell you on Monday, he must have been very content because he kept saying " Now that's more like it!!" when we had lunch on the deck or when we made something! That's what the penguins say on Madagascar Nana!
mum

7:52 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

Hannah, how cute! And wonderful detail and words! Kamryn doesn't tell stories as such. Some time ago I started something in bed with her where we each tell a story but I stopped doing it. Mostly because I think she was too young and didn't really get it so usually it was one or two sentences. I reckon boys have a more vivid imagination than girls, well more than Kamryn anyway lol.

9:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so cute!! He sounds like a real character.

3:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home