Blairs Boys

Monday, October 03, 2005

Dare I say it?

Ethan is toilet trained!
He is 3 years and 4 months old. I've waited for this for a very long time. It has been soooo expensive (not to mention annoying) having 2 kids in nappies, but I was adamant that I wouldn't push Ethan into anything, that he would train himself when he was ready.
It has now been 10 days with no nappies. The first 4 days he had one accident each day, usually early in the day before he "realised" he was wearing underpants, or late in the day when he was getting tired. The next 5 days were accident-free. Yesterday he had 2 accidents but both times it happened right outside the toilet door when he had taken himself without telling us first, and couldn't get his pants down in time. I don't think it was any sort of setback.
We started the whole toilet training process very casually about a year ago. He was happy to use the toilet every now and then, but it was according to his schedule. He never took to the potty, but preferred to sit on the "big toilet" from the start. I realise now that is a huge advantage because he will use any toilet - at preschool, at the shops, at church, at Nana's house. And he will happily wee in a garden or drain if there is no toilet in close proximity. Fabulous. And no, I don't care what people think when they walk past and see him doing it.
Yesterday I was hanging the washing out and I almost shed a tear as I was pegging up those little size 3 underpants. It felt so good! I'm looking forward to the time when Tyler is toilet trained as well. It will save us a lot of money! And I think the guys who collect our rubbish will be happier, too. LOL :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

I just got your post on my blog! How funny! It even gets more interesting as I live in Manly too just along Whangaparaoa Road! We should get together sometime or maybe you can come to The Craft Spot in Silverdale for a crop ;) I haven't gotten to read your blog yet but will fit it in somewhere today!
Christi

2:58 pm  
Blogger Hannah said...

Oh wow - that is too funny!
It would be neat to get together sometime. Do you ever go to the park by Big Manly beach? We live there on nice days :)
Do you work at Craft Spot? I love that store! I haven't been in there for ages though, I've been trying to stop spending too much on scrapping supplies and if I go into that shop I will come out $100 worse off (but with great products in hand, of course)!
What day/night are the crops? I might just come along.

3:05 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Hannah
how spooky is this...
Yes! I did do WW once upon a time, but have gotten out of it for a little while, because I got tired of counting points, but I'm SO close to goal. I'm maintaining around 68kg, and plan to never go over 70kg (UNLESS I fall pregnant again with a third). It's a shame that we don't live in the same area, but at least you can visit my friend, Christi! I can totally get excited about the toilet training with you. Like your boy, Ethan, my eldest (Luke) is recently toilet trained. For a while there he'd only do wees in a potty, and hold onto poos and demand to wear a nappy to do it in. He'd get so constipated!! (I see someone with the same problem in this issue of Little Treasures!) However, with perserverance and encourangement, he started to use the toilet (with seat insert) a couple of months ago and now he goes anywhere. He's such a champ!!!
Unlike you guys, I haven't caught the Scrapbooking bug, but I'm totally in awe of people, such as Christi, who are so talented at it!

4:58 pm  
Blogger Sue said...

At least yours will sit on a toilet! Mine insisted on standing up right from the start - and wouldn't use a step either. Quite often he'd be on tiptoes and sort of 'stretching' it over the rim of the toilet!

5:53 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

Ok, I have read all of the blog entries! Good thing you only started last month lol! Kamryn is potty trained as well and I love it. It was rough going in the beginning especially with trips out and construction along Whangaparaoa Road. She's been potty trained for about 9 months now. We still have a night diaper but she does pee HEAPS at night! But still we only go through a pack of her diapers every 2 weeks. Putting her back in day care has made her going easier too. She no longer requires the insert as I don't think they have them at day care. So she just holds herself up and she never had a real fear of public toilets either. I do love the little panties in the wash though lol!

Go to our family site and we can get in touch through there:
http://groups.msn.com/TheNZNelsonFamily/_homepage.msnw?&pps=k

1:23 pm  
Blogger Hannah said...

Yeah, Ethan always wakes up with a VERY wet nappy in the mornings. He's gonna take a long time to be night trained, but I couldn't care less as long as he is out of daytime nappies :)
I'm off to visit your family site!

1:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading all your latest news Hannah, but I've probably already heard it seeing I'm your Mum!! BUT, I can vouch that those two little Blairs Boys are the totally cutest and most wonderful boys in the world, but Nana is biased!
Yesterday I had my first day of babysitting BOTH boys (had Ethan when he was one) for the day while "mummy and Daddy are BOTH at work" (according to Ethan!) It was such fun and they really were VERY good. Who cares if at one stage every toy was on the floor along with every cushion, throw and anything else in the lounge while Ethan and Tyler played climbing on the chairs (sorry Daddy) and hiding from the bear under the blankets!! Going to have to shift Grandad's guitar though, coz Tyler now climbs on to the highest part, stands there with this cheeky smile on his face and then trys to climb over the couch!!
His first day at pre-school today and I was at work. Wonder how it went? Any other Nana's out there feel so intense about this as I do??
Love to hear from you.
This is from Nana (Janet)

5:43 pm  
Blogger Leighanne said...

awww what a lovely Nanna!!!

I remember toilet training....I loved the little pairs of undies on the line...so cute:)

6:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home