Blairs Boys

Friday, September 16, 2005

I'm SO mad!

Last night Ethan woke up coughing, I could tell straight away it was croup. He's had it dozens of times before.
But this time it seemed much worse, he was really struggling to breathe and starting to panic. I ran outside with him to get him in the cool air, which helped a little, but he was still fighting for air. He seemed to be losing the colour in his face.
So I drove to the local Accident & Medical clinic (this was about 9.30pm) and the nurse saw to us immediately. She took his temp, and then took us to the doctor's room. Nobody else was there so he saw Ethan straight away. I hate not going to our own doctor, but I really wanted to get his breathing checked.
The doctor was a young guy. He made it really obvious that he thought I was a neurotic mother. I told him Ethan had been struggling to breathe and it was much worse than the other times he has had croup. I think the words I used were "he couldn't breathe", to which he replied "well if he couldn't breathe he'd be dead" and gave me the most patronising look. Then he started saying "to the untrained eye it can seem very distressing but there is nothing wrong with him".
I'm like, WHAT THE @#$?
Did you skip the classes on bedside manner???
There actually IS something wrong with him, he has croup!! I knew that before I came, but it is your job (and I am paying you something like $20 for a 5-min consult) to check him out and reassure me that he is OK!
When I got home and told Rob, he said "did you slap him?" which is quite funny really because normally I get quite assertive when people hack me off! But this time I was so shocked I couldn't even respond.
Ethan was much better when we got home, I guess all the night air really helped. He'll be fine, I know, but honestly when your child is gasping for air in the middle of the night you should be able to take them to the A&M and get them checked out without being made to feel stupid!
Did I mention I am SO mad?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

When a doctor is rude and has no bedside manner, it's ok to take the gloves off and tell them they are being a jerk and have no bedside manner. Why should you be the only polite one?
I'm glad Ethan is ok. That must have been very frightening for you both!
Log a complaint to the doctor's supervisor. You deserve much better than that!
-jenn

12:41 am  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm just gald he's OK.
Have you thought about writing a letter to the Dr.? Sometimes a young DR. might not know how he comes off.
Donna

3:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home