Blairs Boys

Saturday, January 20, 2007

A wedding ... and well-constructed sentences

You may be wondering how those two things are related. Well, keep reading and I'll explain.

Today I went to my friend Juliette's wedding. (Juliette used to work at Adis). Anyway, the Reverend who officiated Juliette & Shaun's wedding talked about what makes a well-constructed sentence. I guess his choice of topic may have been influenced by Juliette's profession -- she's a medical writer. He suggested that all good sentences consist of "a few words, well-placed". He had 5 fridge magnets (this choice may have been influenced by Shaun's profession - he works for Fisher & Paykel). Each magnet represented 5 well-constructed sentences that are needed to build a good marriage. Holding up colourful number magnets from 1-5, he explained that the sentences contained 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 word(s) as follows:

5: I'm sorry, please forgive me.
4: Can you help me?
3: I love you.
2. Thank you.
1. Chosen.

I was so taken with his message and the way he delivered it. And he's totally right. Those 5 sentences are the building blocks to a good marriage. If you can't say those things, you've definitely got something to work on. He said #3 is one you will never get tired of hearing. How true is that? And I know if we all used #5 and #2 a bit more, the world would be a happier place.

I was just reminded today of how wonderful marriage is. I feel totally blessed to have such a great marriage, and to be married to such a great guy. I hope all those who read this post will get something out of the message, even though I couldn't share it as eloquently as Reverend Norton did today.

And finally, a big CONGRATULATIONS to Mr & Mrs Allport! You guys looked awesome today and I hope you had a really wonderful day. It was so neat to be there and share in your special day. It was also a neat surprise to see Robyn and Andrew - you guys are so cute together! ;-)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah, I thought you did a good job explaining that. What he said is so true, its funny but I say I love you to Mike everyday and more than once and vice versa. Love the other well contrsucted sentences too. Thank you for sharing.

8:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love going to weddings as a married couple too, it is a great opportunity to reflect on your own marriage and relationship. Those words are wonderful and should definitely be used often :)

6:45 pm  
Blogger Lara said...

this is sooo true & nice to have a reminder - as tracy said, that's one of the reasons I love going to weddings now too!

8:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a beautiful wedding and what the Reverand said has stuck with me as well - as well as my own version of it!!! :-)

Robyn

10:18 am  
Blogger Julie said...

How lovely - I havent been to a wedding for eons - so thanks for sharing Hannah! Leo and I went to a hot tips for couples and came away with so much! We take so much for granted and forget our marriages need TLC just like evrything in our lives.

3:40 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

that made me tear up a little. I'm sure I would have been bawling at the wedding.

What a beautiful message....and you're right, I'm sorry and thank you need to be heard more.

6:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great message! And so true! Thanks for sharing :)

7:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home