Blairs Boys

Friday, January 12, 2007

Healthy weight?

I just read Christi's blog where she had written about a BMI calculator for children.

I actually never knew there was a BMI chart for kids. But I know from my job that the CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) is an extremely reputable organisation, so I felt happy enough to use the BMI chart on my kids too ;-)
No surprise to me, they were both in the "healthy range".

Ethan
3 ft 8 1/2 inches
41 3/4 pounds
BMI = 14.8

Tyler
3 feet 2 1/2 inches
35 1/4 pounds
BMI = 16.7

I wasn't surprised that Ethan's was quite a bit lower. He is very lean, just like his Daddy. Tyler is by no means heavy but he is more solidly built. He's also very tall!

We follow the same sort of philosphy as Christi's family does when it comes to food in our house. All things, including treats, in moderation. Our boys love healthy food just as much. Tyler eats SO much fruit, he prefers it to almost everything else. Ethan loves brocolli, celery, tomatoes and these are often chosen as a snack or for his lunch. Neither of my boys drink juice or soft drink (only on special occasions), they just drink water (and LOTS of it).

I'm really happy with where they are at, and to be honest I'd never really considered that they would be overweight or needing to watch what they eat. We eat healthily in our house so it's never been an issue. I would only become concerned if they weren't active, but they are, all the time. So I know they're fine. The BMI calculator was just a good way to confirm what I already knew ;-)

**EDITED to add:
I knew both my boys were tall, but I had no idea just how tall!
Tyler, at the age of 2 years 3 months, is the height of an average 3-year-old. Ethan, at the age of 4 years 7 months, is the height of an average 6-year-old! I guess with Rob being 6 foot 2 and a mother of "average height" (5 foot 7) they were bound to get some "tall" genes ;-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

I can't get over how much bigger Tyler is to Lauryn and they are only 3 months apart! Where did you find out how tall they were compared to a 3 and 6 year old? Hugh is 6'5" but I don't really want the girls to fall between him and I lol. I'm 5'6" so I would like the girls to be a few inches taller than me lol. Not that it matters if they aren't lol. I just like to think about what they will look like when they are older not that I am rushing that either ;)

2:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to chart the boys. I DO know that they're tall, but it will be neat to see how tall.

You'll be looking up to your two before you know it!

6:19 pm  
Blogger Julie said...

Thats really interesting reading Hannah. I wouldn't do one for my kids, I stopped going to Plunket because the kids would always be under average, etc. They would happily eat me out of house and home, are very active but would never weigh much at all. All things in moderation is the best motto I think, snacks are treats. We have morning and arvo tea so they never get hungry. But Josef seems permanently!! LOL! But how cool that your own instinct was on the ball with the boys...

7:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting reading Hannah......

10:15 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

My boys are almost exactly the exact same size as your boys!!!

However, Zachary has about 10 lbs on Ethan. They said he's in the overweight range. Funnily enough you can see the kids ribs and backbone though. That 52 lbs is like ALL MUSCLE. The doc isn't worried at all (considering his height) and neither am I!

That was interesting to see though!

4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home