Blairs Boys

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

To cut or not to cut?


When should Tyler get his first haircut?
Never! I love those long red curls.
Wait as long as you possibly can.
Better do it soon before people ask if he is a girl.
He is long overdue for a haircut!
Free polls from Pollhost.com
Here's the rationale behind this little poll.
Tyler has lovely red curls and his hair is still beautifully soft and silky. It is getting to the stage now where it curls up at the back of his neck. I love it. It feels wrong to think about cutting it.
But people are silly. They think that if a toddler has long(ish) hair, then it must be a girl. Even if the toddler in question is wearing cargo pants, Thomas the Tank Engine shoes, a blue & red T-shirt with Bob the Builder on it, and is wielding a toy car in each hand.
Let me tell you a story:
Ethan has always looked like a boy. He had his first haircut at 4 months!! I was walking around the shops with him one day when he was about 9 months old. On this particularly day he was wearing boyish clothes. Come to think of it, he has always worn boyish clothes. He's never had any other type of clothes! Anyway, somebody asked me "How old is your baby?" so I said "He's 9 months old." Then the person said "What's the baby's name?" and I said "His name is Ethan." Then they said "Is it a girl or a boy?"
Helloooooo??? Anybody at home up there??
If this could happen with my boyish-looking short-haired boy, then it could easily happen with my angelic-looking long-haired boy. Hence this post.

By the way, I have to clarify that although it sounds like I am getting myself into a frenzy over this, I'm not. I really couldn't care less if other (strange) people think Tyler is a girl. I'm not really worried about when to cut his hair. But all the same, I'm really keen to see what everybody thinks :) So get voting!

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I think 2 is a good age for the first hair cut unless his hair is down on his sholders. The first hair cut only happens once might as well make the best of it and enjoy the baby hair for as long as you can.

Donna

9:46 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

I voted to wait as long as possible - I love the silky long curls. My older boys never had hair at all until they were 2, and even then it grew so slowly. Joey however had long silky curls and I loved it. Yes he got called a girl, but I didn't care. I would have kept his long hair until he was in kindergarten if his older brothers didn't start the haircutting job for me :( Long hair is lovely, but hacked up hair just won't do - I had to fix it, and I cried as those lovely blond curls fell to the floor.....
jenn

12:06 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

I voted wait as long as you can. Many times people think Kamryn is a boy. Mostly because of her name. But this rationale still bothers me to this day. Someone in Foodtown was talking to Kamryn (she was dressed in pink and hair in pigtails) and as soon as I said her name was Kamryn they said 'oh,it's a boy'. I was like whatever! Then they said oh a girl with a boys name. I said 'yep, why not?'. Sometimes I do get annoyed by this mostly because people come across pretty daft!

The comment was recently made to Kamryn 'your mom needs to cut your fringe'. I said 'um, no I don't, it's not getting cut'. To which the reply was 'why not?'. Where is it stated that a girl has to have bangs/fringe???? I think it's an easy way out from having to bother with it in their face and Kamryn doesn't mind so nor do I. I prefer it all one length and I like being able to pull most of it back into a ponytail.

Ok, sorry, Hannah, this post got carried away but I have been on this end of the stick for 3 years! But I say keep the hair, for the time being at least!

*HUGS*

4:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way. Totally leave His beautiful hair curly! It's gorgeous! Who cares if pepole think he's a girl! As you pointed out, someone thought Ethan was a girl when you had already told them "His name is Ethan". Just goes to show how dumb people are. Definitly keep the curls and grow 'em long. Aunties orders!

2:59 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey Hannah
I know he has lovely curls, and you're reluctant to cut his hair because of it... BUT, I reckon you should start cutting his hair as early as possible. This point of view comes out of our experience with Luke, who HATES having his hair cut (we took ages to finally cut his hair). Now we're onto Daniel from an early age, regularly cutting his hair, and hoping he doesn't become afraid of people touching his hair, or cutting with scissors or one of those clippers : )

7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home